Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ok kiddies, this is it. My first post as a Peace Corps trainee. I'm writing from Arlington, VA in my hotel room, which I will be leaving in about 2 hours to head for the airport. I've spent the last couple days in staging with 31 other trainees, getting all the basic info before heading off.

So far, I like pretty much everyone who I'm going there with. Most are young, 21-25, smart, etc... More or less what I was expecting. So I'm pleased. My roommate in the hotel lives in Hawaii, so it looks like I've got a surfing buddy for the first 3 months at least, maybe longer depending on where we end up stationed.

So I check out of here shortly and head for the airport, only to wait around for hours more before my flight. I've got a night over somewhere in Dakar, after taking a night flight to Paris, so really I won't even arrive in Cape Verde until Friday. But, I certainly don't mind some time in Senegal, though I suspect we won't be given much freedom to roam around. Ah well.

In the mean time, I gotta take a nap, seeing as I was up drinking at the revolving bar on top of the hotel until late and I was up at 6 to get my first round of shots. And this hotel wireless connection is shit and keeps dropping. There is no way I'm paying $9.95 for this crap.

But god damn am I excited.

L

No comments: