Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Well, I am enjoying myself again here, but life is changing quite a bit. For starters, Nadia has been transferred to São Vicente, so I am living alone now. It’s a really, really long story, but in short, a single individual on Boa Vista managed to make things difficult enough for her that Peace Corps and CV’s Ministry of Education saw fit to move her. It’s shitty for her obviously, because she had a life and friends here, not to mention a boyfriend. And it’s shitty for me, because I liked living with Nadia. I speak so much less English on a day to day basis already, and the house is too quiet for my tastes. And I don't think the neighbors are enjoying the loud music I now play for several hours a day to make up for it.

On the other hand, some things are looking up. The wind picked up big time this week, so that promises 6 months of great windsurfing. Tony and Spela, the Slovenians from last year, aren’t coming back this year, but a different guy, Sebastian, is managing the club. I went snorkelling with him and Moises a couple weekends ago, and they showed me a great spot out by the islet with a ton of fish. There’s a little reef drop-off that is filled with grouper, morays, and other delicious things. I tried to go buy a speargun, but the guy here wanted 27.000 escudos (~$300) for one. I’ll try and get one elsewhere.

Kyle was here this last weekend, which always results in some crazy things happening. We mostly cooked, ate, and drank. First there was Thanksgiving, which was actually pretty successful. Shon, Betty, and Tânia came over, and I invited François and Moises, although Moises couldn’t make it and François seems to have just sort of forgotten. Oh well. In place of a turkey, I roasted 4 little chickens (after brining them all day with a lot of rosemary) with vegetables, made some awesome mashed potatoes, and baked homemade bread and an apple tart. The tart burned on the bottom because I am an asshole who drank too much wine and put it too low in the oven, but the apples and the rest of the crust were delicious. The bread was absolutely excellent as well, even though it was an experiment in a different method of baking. I think I could have improved on nearly everything, but it was also a first for nearly everything, too. So no complaints. The next day, we put together some ridiculously good pizza. We made an approximation of buffalo chicken pizza, a garlic mashed potato pizza, bread sticks, and then a more normal pizza, too. Those two meals inspired creative leftover meals for about 4 days. He was supposed to go home on Sunday, but TACV cancelled his flight twice, and he stayed until Tuesday morning. On Monday night, we had nothing to do, so we ended up sitting at a bar for about 5 hours, drinking whiskey and messing with the waitresses. They liked us, and we ended up going to their house at like 2 am, but then going home shortly afterwards. The whole event is really pretty blurry.

Anyway, at the moment, Shon and I are planning for World AIDS Day and International Volunteer Day more or less simultaneously. WAD is basically almost put together, with minimal contribution on my part, but we just remembered about IVD two days ago, and it’s Dec 5. So I think it’ll be a small thing. Ah well.

And now I have to go look at the high school’s computer classroom and then perhaps yell at the guy who is supposed to be delivering my water, but keeps not doing it.

1 comment:

Criolitious2007 said...

Dear Hero,

Yah, I will call you hero. Leland, you are my hero.

Please do not feel weird that this girl from no where is writing you. First of all let me just tell you how I got to your profile. I am an accountant and yesterday, while I was at work, on google I typed “ TACV baggage rules” and all of the sudden, as I scroll down I saw a tittle” 2 years experience in cape verde” I just clicked there, and as soon as I realized I was living your adventure.

I was so bored yesterday, since tax season is over and reading your logs made up my day. I have read your entire logs, yes took me a good 8 hour. Now tell me,aren’t you an hero. You have got to be. I hate reading about anything, but I just was so into your experience.

Let me tell you a bit about me. I am a Cape verdean, I am 24 years old and came to the US six years ago. So for me to read your story, and see how you appreciate about everything in cape verde, I felt at home with your story. I am from Praia so the whole Sao domingos, grogue, assomada, and things you mention my God, I just found my self smiling all day at my office, that I think some of my cubemate thought I have lost my mind. But you can see how I relate to your story.

Let me just say that I am just so proud of you, all of you who are doing this, I hate writing too, ya by now you have figured out how lazy of a human am I. lol. So you really touched me with your story. Anyway, as I was saying for me to write you and I could not wait another day to write to you, is a big deal.

Let me tell you how truly touched and inspired I am, reading your story, just made me so much humble. And how we take cv for granted, many of us capeverdeans who came to the US. I have come to the point that three years ago went I went to cape verde, even MOSCA was bothered me, and to see a person who has never been outside US to go to a complete different place and be so optimistic about it. Boy I am in love with you, mean your personality. Lol. Don’t worry Nadia, I have a boyfriend and madly in love . lol. Ya I read about that too.hehehe.

LeLand, it just happened that I read your log because I saw it, just like I could be reading other folks that were in cape verde, but I truly miss my country more than ever now that I have read yours and Nadia’s and now when I miss home I know where to come for confort.

I found my self crying when I read your story, and how simple of life you guys are leaving. I think of so much you guys must had to leave to go and help others.

My God, I can’t believe how much your story touched me. !! Anywyas, I coming to Praia in two weeks, to see my soon to be husband, and I am already in the going to cape verde mood but reading your story just made me like go home today, this instance and leave some of what you’re leaving.

You know I came to this country with so much expecations, so much greedy and illusion, so materialisc. Only to find out that I am not leaving, only to find out that life is not as easy as you might think it is in the US. I the US we can ge easily drawn in to market consumerism. so unfocuse, How long hours we work here, and how little of vacation we get here. Also, how we work so much and yet do not reward our selves because we have so little time here. I am speaking for my self because I had to study and work full time.

You are leaving my dreams right now, do you know how many times I wonder how would life would be if I was debt free not car payments, or student loans to pay that I could just pack and leave with no destinations. I would love to go right now, be a peace corp volunteer and leave a differente experience.I feel that I would be willing to give up all the “ luxury” for peace of mind, for stress free life, for an adventure like yours. Ya I know is rought you guys probably do not think of what you are leaving as paradise, certainly I know my cape verde really well, so it is hard for you guys, but you have an awesome experience to share with your friends and kids and grandkids. You have made an experience of your life that if hasn’t yet, has potential of shaping and molding you into a new man! You have a story that all happens on my little island.

I so admire you guys, all of you guys . to me this is courage. It takes lots of courage for you guys to do what you do.

I am so proud of all of you that I cannot even describe. You have changed me in day and night. I never thought someone that I never see would inspire me in this way. I feel like a new person, and every time before I buy something I would think of you and say” may be I will save this money and so I can be debt free and have the freedom to do whatever I want. I don’t think you can understand what I am saying. But my God you so inspire me.

I recently became a Jehovah’ Witness, and certainly being humble is a quality that we as Christian really try to be, and it is a challenge for me, lol.and I just cannot believe that you have just helped me see this world in a whole different perspective. Leaving the simple life without the magnifying glasses.

I am making more money that I have ever made in my life time, yet I am still poor, and I see you guys leaving in cape verde trying to making, not even eating fruits, as Nadia mentioned in her log., and this is an American guy whom I am talking about, do all this from the heart!

Leeland, I m just so proud of you.

I think you deserve a thank you from me. Yah, thank you, Leeland.

Yes you are a “ rock star” except that you are doing something more useful and certainly not doing drugs. Hehehe. You know what I mean.

But hey again sorry for all of this writing but I had to say something to you.

I envy your life right now. My life in the states is boring, work home, routine. I do not get to go to the beach, windsurf, or go to parties and meet fun people. Let me just make a statement , I love US. I just do not like the life style that we leave here. And I have come to realize that now that I m more mature and open minded. But I took my country for granted. I feel.

Would you believe If I told I lived 17 years in cape verde and the only islands I know is Santiago and sal. You know more places than I do. You have leave my lifetime dream in less than 6 months. You know so many places in cape verde, you can actually compare!

Well Leeland, I know you are leaving alone now, but do not worry, hopefully Nadia will visit you again soon. On the mean time keep it up with the good work, keep up with wind surfing, and please enjoy the food, worry about getting into shape when you come o the states, besides you will not get as good fried chicken as you get at our home.

Sorry for this long blog, but this just goes by showing how inspired I am. You have got a fan. Now, what a wow.

Take care and be safe.

Again my name is Eurides that feel capeverdean again. I think for a while I have lost my identity.

I will keep posting now and though I am for people who express their feelings, try to swear a little less so I that I will feel more safe of reading your log while I am at work.hehehe.

Ate logo, amigo.

P.S. – while I read your blog, I felt as if I was reading a book. You should consider that. Or at least someone from peace corps and put your different experience on. Hey I would buy the book. Just tell me the price.

Fica dretu y forca!

Viva, Leeland.

Best regards,

Eurdies