Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I'm sitting in the fully functional cyber café in the CEJ now, with a bunch of teenage boys all gathered around one computer to my right. Every time I get up and walk past them, they quickly close all the windows on the computer. Gee, I wonder what's keeping their attention... The CyberCaféPro software arrived on Monday morning and I installed it along with Vilma, the CEJ technician and computer teacher. We set up the server and a couple client machines to test it and make sure it was all satisfactory. I spent last week learning the software with a demo copy, and I taught her all I had figured out. She's pretty smart (getting a comp sci degree in São Paulo, Brasil), so she picked it all up quickly, and was teaching it to the other employees not twenty minutes later. I spent the afternoon installing the client software on all the computers here while Vilma finished ironing out the rest of the server configuration, and by the time I left at 5:30 or so, there were half a dozen customers and the girl who works nights was handling it fine on her own. So there you have it, first project is done. Go me.

I've felt a bit aimless since finishing up this project, so I just ducked into my counterpart's office, and talked with her a bit about where to go next. Apparently, she wants me to start teaching computer classes on Monday. This is tricky, considering I've only ever taught two computer classes ever, and I have no lesson plans. So I guess I will have to cobble something together in the very near future. Of course, I am not sure what topics I will be covering, or what skill levels my students will have. So basically, it's exactly what I thought Peace Corps would be like. And the solution is, as always, to just roll with it. I'll start working with Vilma today to put together a course. I've got sample lesson plans from a book from the PC resource library, as well as lesson plans given to me by Brent, a 2nd year volunteer on São Nicolau.

We may have found an apartment the other day, so I am going to visit it this morning. If it is satisfactory, hopefully we can move in soon. One of my coworkers lives in the building, so I've seen what it looks like. Apparently one of the bedrooms is pretty small, but I really don't care. Clearly, I came here with not that much stuff, and I definitely don't need a desk and chairs and shit. So I told Nadia that I will take the small room, just so long as we have a place to live, and soon. The building is about 50 feet from the water and is in an older section of town. The location is prime, so hopefully the apartment is as nice as I hope it is.

Ok, Paulo (guy who works at the camara, and our apartment-savvy hookup) is here, and it's time to visit what is hopefully my future home.

No comments: