Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Time for another post, I guess... We may have a temporary house now, which we will hopefully move into tomorrow. It's kind of a tourist apartment, which is bad because I would rather not be associated with anything touristy here, but good because, well, it's fully furnished and right by the beach. So I guess no complaints really. The fully furnished thing is the most key, because I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on buying stuff and moving it into a house if we're going to leave a month later. So if we can actually get a hold of the landlord, we will visit it today and move in tomorrow. Finally.

Oh, and I have a mailing address now (just a PO box), so if you are feeling beneficent and want to mail me things, shoot me an email and I'll send it to you.

So my major observation about Boa Vista thus far is that the tourist aspect of it sucks more than I imagined. In Sao Domingos, it was so easy to make friends. Just by virtue of my skin color, I stood out, and people were curious. So I was constantly talking to people, and everyone just wanted to know all about me, why I was there, etc etc. But here, you can't spit without hitting an Italian (note: I have not yet actually spit on an Italian), and most people here are rightfully sick of tourists. So there is no overt friendliness. Once I speak Creole, it's usually not a problem. Then they realize that I am not a tourist, and the Cape Verdean hospitality comes right out. But it's unfortunate.

Ok, gotta run some errands now, but I've more anti-tourist venting for later.

No comments: